How would you use $100,000 to make LA2050 the best place to create? Submit an application for your chance to make it happen in 2014.
We are pleased to announce the two winners who will each receive $100,000 to implement their projects:
In LA2050, our region will empower its residents to harness their creativity by fostering entrepreneurship, cultural diversity, and inclusivity.
In 2050, Los Angeles will continue to play host to the largest concentration of working artists in the nation and provide support to maintain (and build) its robust collection of arts establishments. It will lead the nation in manufacturing and become an international leader in technology and innovation. Our region will be a center for entrepreneurial activity that creates jobs and generates wealth for a diverse, flexible, and talented workforce. LA’s business community will reflect the diversity of our region, enhancing our international business opportunities.
LA2050 Metrics (Shaped by YOU):
- Employment in creative industries
- Arts establishments per capita
- Concentration of manufacturing activity in LA
- Federal research grant funding
- Patents per capita
- Jobs per capita
- Minority- and women-owned firms
- Gini coefficient
- Number of high-growth startups
- Venture capital investment
- Measures of cultural and global economic influence (“soft power”) (Dream Metric)
- Recruiting and retention rates at local higher education institutions (Dream Metric)
- Percentage of graduates from local higher education institutions that remain in LA County 5 years after graduating (Dream Metric)
- Unemployment rates (and opportunities) for the formerly incarcerated (Dream Metric)
Tell us how your idea, project, or program can help Los Angeles become the best place in the world to create.
Submit an application between Tuesday, July 1st, 2014 (noon Pacific Daylight Time) and Thursday, July 31st, 2014 (noon Pacific Daylight Time). Your application will go through a moderation process to ensure that your project adheres to all challenge rules. From Tuesday, September 2nd, 2014 (noon Pacific Daylight Time) to Tuesday, September 16th, 2014 (noon Pacific Daylight Time), we’ll open challenge submissions to public voting. Rally your colleagues and friends to get behind your effort and join the public in selecting the winners.
TWO WAYS TO WIN:
- TOP VOTED: The top voted project will receive $100,000 to implement their idea
- JURY VOTED: One project will be selected by a panel of judges to receive $100,000 to implement their idea
More details on the challenge and winner rules can be found under Rules & Regulations.
And don’t forget to get your application in early! LA2050 will showcase submissions as they are accepted up until voting begins (between Tuesday, July 1st, 2014 and Friday, August 29th, 2014).
A shared vision for the future of LA is an important first step to making progress. Now, we want to hear your ideas on how we can make that vision a reality.
Connect with LA2050 on LA2050.org, Twitter, and Facebook and join the conversation via #LA2050.
- If you don't see your submission here, don't panic! Your application is going through the moderation process, and will show up on the site over the next few days if it is approved.
- Share how your idea will impact the LA2050 Goal of making LA the best place to create. How will your project impact the metrics?
- Although the LA2050 Goals use specific metrics to conduct its tracking and analysis, please do not limit yourself to these metrics.
- Describe how the $100,000 award will enable you to implement your idea.
- Include a photo or video that represents your idea or organization. Photos should be in JPG, PNG, or GIF format, at least 570 × 345 pixels and no larger than 10MB. To include a video, use a YouTube URL.
- Check out the LA2050 Goals, the LA2050 Report, and the My LA2050 White Paper for additional information.
- Voting begins on Tuesday, September 2nd, 2014 (noon Pacific Daylight Time) and closes Tuesday, September 16th, (noon Pacific Daylight Time).
- Each person can vote once.
- In order to vote, you must be at least 18 years old and a US resident.
- In order to vote, log in with your GOOD account.
- If you don’t have a GOOD account, it’s free to join. All you need is an email address or a Facebook account to register. You will be emailed a link that you need to click in order to validate your address.
- We suggest using either Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome browsers when casting a vote.
- If you have any questions, please review these FAQs or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Winners will be selected in two ways, a jury vote and public vote:
- Jury Vote: One project will be selected by a panel of judges to receive $100,000 to implement their idea.
- Applications will be selected using the following criteria: impact on the LA2050 goal, creativity and innovation, feasibility, and collaborative spirit.
- Public Vote: The top voted project will receive $100,000 to implement their idea.
- Projects will be featured on this page and public voting will be open from Tuesday, September 2nd, (noon Pacific Daylight Time) to Tuesday, September 16th (noon Pacific Daylight Time).